Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Harry

Stone. Chamber. Prisoner. Goblet. Order. Prince. Hallows
 
We all know them. We all love them We have all (secretly or not) wanted to be sorted into houses. We are Generation HP.
 
These movies are always circulating through various TV channels. I have watched more than a few Harry Potter Weekends on ABC Family. When I learned that I would get the chance to visit The Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando, I started thinking about the books. In general, I feel that rereading books is a waste of time (I know many people disagree) so I hadn't opened a book in the Harry Potter series since the 7th book came out several summers ago. I reasoned that even though I know the basic plots and endings, a lot of story and detail are left out of the movies. And since I rescued the series from my husband's childhood room, I had them all at my fingertips. Ready, Set, GO!
 
The most common thought I had while reading was that J. K. Rowling's imagination is SPECTACULAR. The universe, the detail, and the character development are all so in-depth that it is easy to imagine a world where this really does exist and I think that's why kids are drawn to the series. I mean seriously, who truly hasn't wondered what house they would be sorted into? (I think Hufflepuff for me.) I'm not going to recap the books since even people who haven't read them know what they are about, but I thought I would list some of the best quotes from each one.
 
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
 
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
 
It takes much bravery to stand up to our enemies but we need as much bravery to stand up to our friends.
 
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
 
It is our choices, Harry, that show us who we truly are, far more than our abilities.
 
Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain.
 
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
 
You can exist without your soul, you know, as long as your brain and heart are still working. But you'll have no sense of self anymore, no memory, no...anything. There's no chance at all of recovery. You'll just exist. As an empty shell. And your soul is gone forever...lost.
 
You think the dead we loved ever tryly leave us? You think that we don't recall them more clearly than ever in times of great trouble?
 
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
 
We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.
 
It was like trying to keep water in his cupped hands; the details were trickling away as fast as he tried to hold onto them.
 
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
 
Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike.
 
We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to at on. That's who we really are.
 
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
 
Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!
 
It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more.
 
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
 
Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on Earth should that mean that it is not real?
 
It is a curious thing, Harry, but perhaps those who are best suited to power are those who have never sought it.
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment